Saturday, December 1, 2007

Planning a Fish/Invert Room Project

As you may know by now, I plan on building a fish/invert room to breed marine ornamentals as well as propogate and breed corals.

I'm going to start with the marine ornamental breeding. The first two fish will be Banggai's and an undetermined clownfish.

I'll be chronicling everything on the blog and the podcast.

My first project is humidity control. With a basement sump on my current 120 gallon display, I already get high humidity in the basement. To address this I am going to be installing a humidistat and bathroom fan to exhaust humidity outside.

Once that is complete, I will be building the racks. The tank sizes are going to be a combination of 10, 20, 29 and 40 long tanks. This will be for broodstock and growout.

For larval rearing I will probably be using large round tubs.

Being in the design phase, I need to determine the layout of the tanks, sink, culturing station, etc. I need to determine the selection of tanks. I need to determine which proteins skimmer, pumps and other equipment I wish to use.

I'd like to make smart selections as to maximize energy efficiency and minimizing cost. Somewhat opposing goals, but I can find a happy medium.

It should be a fun project. I welcome any input and suggestions from the community.

Next part will be the details of controlling the humidity. I'll probably be installing this over
Christmas week.

No comments: